. . . but they have no interest in real combat, when the great masters struggle against that something, that something that terrifies us all, that something that cows us and spurs us on, amid blood and mortal wounds and stench.


08 February 2010

The New Yorker Discussion



__________, that little New Yorker piece to which you cited us long ago was actually a part of a The New Yorker's Book of the Month discussion. It is extraordinarily difficult to navigate around there, but I found that entire discussion. It took place a year ago. I have recently felt more comfortable with reading things about the book now that I am almost finished reading the book itself. This New Yorker discussion is a dandy. I continue to blunder through the Spanish material that __________ provided.

As for the little snippet that you cited, I actually did think of the sermon in Moby Dick when reading the section on Seaman, I did also notice the mirrors. . .but snakes? What snakes? I guess I will have to go back and read that particular comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment